Ever since we were born, we hear and see what hearts are. Many of us thought that our emotions came from our hearts, mainly because our heart beats faster when we are excited or frightened. But the truth is, our emotions really came from our brains, and in this case, the brain gives a signal to the heart to react or speed up. So one common question that kids are curious about is, “What is the main function of the heart in our lives?”
Kids and also parents are kind of curious and want to know more about how the circulatory system works for us, most especially the work of a heart into our wellbeing. To know more about the heart and to educate yourself even more about its functions and benefits, this article will give you a clearer understanding of it. This article will help you discover how our circulatory works within our bodies.
The function of the circulatory system
A circulatory system is a network that consists of blood, blood vessels, and the heart. This kind of system provides tissues in a person’s body. This so-called system also delivers things to different parts of the body. It is like a delivery truck that transport packages. But, as a substitute for packages, the circulatory system carries nutrients, oxygen and also wastes in the cell throughout the blood. A person’s body must remove all of this dirt and so that the circulatory system can work properly.
It is made up of the heart initially. A person’s heart is a pump that is made up of muscle. It becomes tighter in time and relaxes to push blood through the blood vessels. Blood vessels are the pathways that carry blood to every inch of a person’s body.
The heart is a muscle
Our heart is located in the left part of the chest. A person’s heart is made up of muscles and it is about the size of a person’s fists. However, there are a lot of muscles in a person’s body, just like in the arms, in the back, and the heart. It normally pumps or two pumps in one.
What makes a heart special? It is because of the muscle that pumps or sends blood to a person’s body. The heart is responsible for providing the body of a person to have oxygen and nutrients it needs.
Parts of the heart
A heart has four chambers and these chambers are normally, two on the top part, and two on the bottom part. Learn about the different parts of the heart and how it works. These are:
- Two Bottom Chambers – These chambers are the right ventricle and the left ventricle of the heart. The function of these chambers normally just pumps blood out of the heart and to squirt out the blood to the body and lungs.
- Two Top Chambers – These chambers are the right and left atrium. They are responsible for receiving the blood upon entering the heart.
The atria are disconnected from the ventricles by the atrioventricular valves. Take a look at the parts of these valves.
- Tricuspid Valve – This valve separates the right atrium from the right ventricle
- Mitral Valve – This valve separates the left atrium from the left ventricle
The 2 valves that also separate the ventricles from the large blood vessels that carry blood that leaves the heart and these are:
- Aortic Valve – The valve that is located between the left ventricle and the aorta is responsible for carrying blood to the body.
- Pulmonic Valve – The valve that is located between the right ventricle and the pulmonary artery which carries blood to the lungs
How does a heartbeat?
The heart gets a message from the brain that tells about when to pump more and when to pump less blood. It really depends on a person’s needs and feelings. Just like when you are sleeping, your heart just pumps
normally to deliver enough amount of oxygen needed by the body while sleeping or at rest. However, in another scenario just like you are jogging or exercising, your heart pumps faster. The reason why it pumps quicker is that the muscles obtain more oxygen and can work properly.
The beats of a heart are navigated by a system of electrical signals in the heart of a person. There is a small area of tissue located in the wall of the right atrium and it is called the sinus node. It gives the signal to the heart to start pumping. This node sets the rate of the heartbeat and usually causes the heart to pump in its rhythm.
How to keep a heart-healthy
To help the circulatory system healthy and work properly, first, you need to take good care of the heart. In order to take good care of the heart, you should:
- Have regular exercises and engage in physical activities
- Maintain a balanced diet
- Keep a healthy and normal weight
- Avoid or quit smoking for it can damage your heart and blood vessel
- Visit your doctor regularly
- Discuss with your doctor about heart disease history in your family
- Avoid sweet drinks or soft drinks
These are just simple health tips to lessen the risk of any heart failure in the future. There is no one who can help you maintain your heart, but only yourself. These useful tips when done can make a great impact on your heart and to your wellbeing.
A person who takes good care of his or her body will most likely live a long and healthy life. For most parents, it is important to take good care of your kids’ health all the time. Training them on how to live a healthy lifestyle will really make a big impact, and one way of training them is to educate them about the system in our bodies and how it actually works.
In the end, your heart deserves love after all that it has done to your life. You need to take care of it from the moment you were born until the time you will be gone.
- Child Adoption: Process, Pros & Cons
- How to Treat Toddlers with Disabilities
- Importance of Health Education for Kids