Traveling with young children can be an exciting adventure, but it can also come with its fair share of challenges, especially when it comes to air travel.
What airlines let 2 year olds fly free? If you’re a parent in the United States with a 2-year-old, you might be wondering if there are any airlines that offer the perk of free airfare for your little one.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll delve into the world of family-friendly travel and explore which airlines allow 2-year-olds to fly free, helping you make the most of your journey while keeping your budget intact.
Why Free Airfare Matters for Parents
For parents, every dollar saved counts, and air travel expenses can quickly add up, especially when the whole family is on the move.
The idea of free airfare for 2-year-olds can be a game-changer, enabling families to explore new destinations without breaking the bank.
By taking advantage of this cost-saving opportunity, parents can allocate their travel budget to other essential expenses such as accommodation, activities, and meals.
Airlines That Allow 2-Year-Olds to Fly Free
1. Southwest Airlines: Known for its family-friendly policies, Southwest Airlines offers a fantastic deal for parents traveling with 2-year-olds. Your child can fly for free as long as they are considered a “lap child” and sit on your lap throughout the flight. Be sure to check Southwest’s specific guidelines for lap children before booking your flight.
2. Alaska Airlines: Alaska Airlines also extends a warm welcome to families with young children. Children under the age of 2 can travel for free as lap children, provided they are accompanied by an adult ticket holder.
3. Delta Air Lines: Delta Air Lines allows children under 2 to travel for free as lap children on domestic flights. However, it’s important to note that international flights might have different policies, so it’s advisable to review Delta’s guidelines based on your travel itinerary.
4. JetBlue Airways: JetBlue offers a generous policy for young travelers. Children under 2 can fly free as lap children on domestic flights, making it a convenient option for families exploring destinations within the U.S.
5. Frontier Airlines: Frontier Airlines allows lap children under 2 to fly for free domestically, but fees may apply for international flights. As policies can change, make sure to double-check the latest guidelines before making your reservation.
6. Hawaiian Airlines: If you’re planning a trip to Hawaii, Hawaiian Airlines has you covered. Children under 2 can fly for free as lap children on interisland flights, providing families with an opportunity to explore the beauty of the Hawaiian Islands together.
Tips for Flying with a 2-Year-Old
While the prospect of free airfare for your 2-year-old is enticing, it’s essential to be well-prepared for the journey to ensure a smooth and enjoyable travel experience. Here are some valuable tips for flying with a toddler:
1. Plan Strategically: Choose flight times that align with your child’s nap or sleep schedule. A well-rested toddler is more likely to be calm and content during the flight.
2. Pack Wisely: Be sure to pack essential items such as snacks, toys, diapers, and a change of clothes. Entertainment is key to keeping your toddler engaged during the flight.
3. Check Documentation: Ensure you have all necessary documents, including your child’s birth certificate, if required. This will help avoid any complications during check-in and security checks.
4. Stay Comfortable: Dress your child in comfortable clothing and consider bringing a cozy blanket for extra comfort during the flight.
5. Request Child-Friendly Meals: If your airline offers in-flight meals, consider requesting child-friendly options for your little one.
6. Explore Pre-Boarding Options: Many airlines offer pre-boarding for families with young children. Take advantage of this opportunity to settle in before the rush of other passengers.
Traveling with a 2-year-old can be an enriching experience for both parents and children.
By choosing airlines that allow 2-year-olds to fly free, you can make your journey more budget-friendly and accessible.
Remember to research the specific policies of each airline and plan ahead to ensure a smooth and enjoyable flight with your little one.
With careful preparation and the right information at hand, you’ll be ready to embark on memorable family adventures that will last a lifetime.