Waiting for the arrival of the baby is the most crucial moment that motherhood holds. As you are to take into consideration not only your health but as well as your baby. This is in order to bring a new life into this world smoothly. During this time, it is utmost essential that you only eat healthy foods to yield nourishment into your womb. Adequate vitamins and minerals should actively partake in your meal to ensure proper nutriment for both of you and your unborn child.
Fruits and vegetables are widely known for their great benefits to the body wherein there are no restrictions for it to be consumed while you are pregnant according to studies. One of these is figs, find out what are the whooping benefits you can obtain from eating this while you are expecting.
Fun facts about figs
Figs are vastly known to be the fruit of Gods. It is a sweet fruit which came from Ficus tree under the Mulberry family. Wild fig trees enormously grow in Africa as well as in South and West Asia while ficus carica which is its Asian species usually referred to as common fig grows in the remaining parts of Asia. This kind of tree has been cultivated since ancient times and actively grows in sunny and dry areas having deep and fresh soil. Figs are considered to be the sweetest fruit for having 55 percent of natural sugar on it.
Nutritional value of figs
Natural sugars, soluble fiber, and minerals are highly found in figs. Calcium, iron, potassium, copper, and magnesium which are mineral-riched are also present aside containing vitamins A, D, E and B. Moreover, the most interesting about its nutritional value is that it is low in calories. Therefore it is a nice option for those moms who would like their pregnancy weight gain controlled.
According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), one medium-sized fruit (about 50g) provides 37 calories, 9.59g carbohydrates, 8.13g sugars, 1.4g dietary fiber, 0.38g protein, 0.15g fat, 0.18mg iron, 18mg calcium, 8mg magnesium, 7mg phosphorus, 116mg potassium, 3mcg folate, 4mcg vitamin A, and 3mcg vitamin K (2).
Shown below is the analysis of the nutritional property of figs served per 50 grams
- Fiber: 1.45g
- Potassium: 116mg
- Calories: 37
- Manganese: 0.06g
- Pantothenic Acid: 0.15mg
- Vitamin B6: 0.06mg
- Copper: 0.03mg
- Protein: 0.38g
- GI: medium
- Total sugar: 1.13g
- Fat: 0.15g
- Carbohydrates: 9.59g
Is it safe to eat figs during pregnancy?
Research has not shown any significant harmful effects of eating figs to pregnant women until today. Therefore, it is advised by doctors to moms to be to consume figs in order to gain more essential nutrients from this fruit along with their unborn child
Benefits of eating figs during pregnancy
- Rich in omega 3 and folate. The development of the fetal brain can be contributed by consuming figs. Figs is highly rich in these two nutrients which are crucial for brain development
- Healthy diet. Food craving is very common for pregnant women mostly during the first trimester. Many have certain foods yearning but not controlling it would likely result in serious conditions such as stoutness or obesity. Owing to its alkaline property, figs helps such condition to be prevented. The reason behind it is it controls your hunger and holds back your cravings.
- Boost calcium intake. Calcium is known to be an essential part of the development of teeth and bones of the baby aside from the mother. It keeps moms to be fit and tough on a daily basis as it strengthens their bones during and after pregnancy.
- Boost digestion. Bowel movement and constipation prevention are being regulated because figs are rich in dietary fiber as well. To be added, the good bacteria in the gut that is supported by probiotics it figs aids indigestion.
- Anemia free. Oxygen supply in the fetus can be caused by iron deficiency. Figs supply enough iron to the body preventing anemia and lethargy.
- Aids regulate blood sugar levels. Figs help maintaining the heart to be fit. It helps lowering blood sugar levels from the combination of the low amount of sodium and the high amount of potassium found in it.
- Discards morning sickness. Vitamin B6 contained in figs is proven to be beneficial to reduce morning sickness.
- Provides healthy and glowing skin. Figs have their effect on treating the problems in skin pigmentation and even melasma for it has what they called chemical psoralen.
Side effects of eating figs during pregnancy
Eating figs while pregnant is indeed beneficial and highly advisable to you until taken on an inappropriate amount. As they always say, too much of anything can be dangerous. These are some of the side effects if figs are taken immoderately.
- It may decrease the glucose level from lowering the blood pressure.
- A sense of irritation may occur for pregnant women due to allergic reactions. In a worst-case scenario, this can be severe.
- Photodermatitis which is a severe skin problem can be caused by a high amount of consuming figs.
- You may experience having loose stools.
Figs are absolutely nutritious food to eat during pregnancy. Just take into account all of the hefty benefits of it listed above. Well, just stick to eating the right amount of it to prevent any side effects no matter how much you love gobbling it. To figure out the right amount to be consumed, it is best to talk to your doctor or nutritionist.
- Healthy breakfast for pregnant women
- Dragon fruit in-pregnancy is it safe to consume
- Do you consider chia seeds for pregnant women