Avocado is a nutritious fruit believed to have originated from Mexico. It is probably best known as the main ingredient for guacamole, a very popular dip or sauce in Mexican cuisine. Avocado is also called alligator pear because of its scale-like skin. It is the fruit of the avocado tree, which scientific name is Persea Americana. During ripening, this fruit’s skin color changes from green to brown. Some fruits are small while others can weigh up to 1 or 2 kilograms.
Avocados are healthy fruits. They contain healthy fats and have more potassium than a banana. They also contain fiber. These fruits are also good for the heart and can keep your eyes healthy as they are loaded with carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin which can help protect your eyes. They may also aid in weight loss. They can also help reduce liver damage. Some studies also showed that avocados contain acids that may enhance memory. They are also believed to be good for pregnant and lactating women. And of course, they’re good for kids, too.
These health benefits are also the reasons avocados are popular nowadays especially among people who want to be healthier. And of course, its rich flavor can make desserts and dishes more delicious.
You may also want to try these dessert recipes so that you can give your kids a healthy and delicious avocado treat that they can enjoy.
4 Desserts with Avocado
1. Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream
You can have your very own homemade avocado ice cream with this recipe. This simple avocado dessert can satisfy your ice cream cravings too!
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ripe avocado, seeded and peeled
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
1. Put all the ingredients in a blender.
2. Blend until smooth.
3. If you are using an ice cream maker, pour the mixture into your maker and follow your device’s instructions.
But even if you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can still enjoy this dessert. Just pour the mixture into a bowl. Refrigerate. Stir every hour and freeze until firm.
You can also do an avocado dark chocolate ice cream if you prefer the bitter taste of dark chocolate. You can put peanuts, chocolate chips, sliced banana or other toppings to make your ice cream more interesting. Whatever you choose, avocado ice cream will always be one delicious dessert. And chocolate is one of the flavors that go with avocado.
2. Avocado Vanilla Smoothie
One popular avocado dessert recipe is the Avocado Vanilla Smoothie. You can have this at any time of the day, but it can also be a healthy breakfast on the go for busy people.
- 1 pc ripe avocado
- 1 pc banana
- 1-2 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 c coconut or almond milk
- 1-2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
1. Put all ingredients in a blender. You can also add ice.
2. Blend until smooth.
You may add more honey or maple syrup if you want your smoothie sweeter. Aside from the benefits that you can get from avocado, you also get to enjoy the health benefits (and the sweet, delicious flavor) of banana.
3. Avocado Fudge Bars
A no-bake avocado dessert, the fudge bars can be stored in your refrigerator for 2 weeks. This is also one of the healthy avocado desserts that the whole family can enjoy.
- 3 ounces dark chocolate (bittersweet), chopped
- 1 pc large avocado, pitted and pureed
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- sugar to taste
- chopped pistachios or other nuts (optional)
1. Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl (set over a pan of simmering water). Add the pureed avocado, coconut milk, vanilla extract, salt and sugar and mix until completely smooth. If using nuts, add and stir into the mixture.
2.Pour the mixture into an 8-by-8-inch baking pan (lined with parchment paper).
3. Refrigerate until firm. The recommended time is at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight so that it gets firmer.
4. Lift the fudge out of the pan using the parchment paper. Remove the paper and then cut into your desired size (ideally 1 inch). The fudge may be stored in a refrigerator. Make sure to use an air-tight container.
You may also try to use other ingredients such as mint to add flavors to this dessert. The nuts can also provide an added flavor and texture to your avocado fudge.
4. No-Bake Avocado Cheesecake
This is an easy avocado cheesecake recipe that you can try. As this is a no-bake recipe, you wouldn’t need an oven; your refrigerator will be enough to help you make this treat.
- 9 oz graham crackers or 1 cup crushed graham
- 100 grams unsalted butter, melted
- 300 grams of cream cheese
- 1 pc avocado
- 200 ml whipped cream
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 pcs lime, juiced
1. Put the graham crackers and ¼ sugar in a food processor until finely ground. Add melted butter and process again until the crumbs are moist.
2. Press the mixture into the bottom of a pan. Refrigerate for about 10 minutes to set.
3. Cut the avocado into cubes and put them in the food processor along with the cream cheese, lime juice, and remaining sugar. Process until completely smooth. Add the whipped cream and coconut cream and process again until completely blended and the mixture starts to thicken.
4. Pour the avocado cream cheese mixture on top of the crust. Refrigerate until set. (It is recommended to let it sit in the freezer for 6 hours or overnight so that it can completely set).
5. Garnish with whipped cream and/or lime slices, if preferred.
Crushed graham or graham grounds are also now readily available at supermarkets.
You can also try baked avocado cheesecake, but if you want a mouth-watering dessert that’s easier to make, go for this no-bake avocado cheesecake.
There you have it!
An avocado dessert is a real treat and you can also try other homemade avocado dessert recipes such as avocado cookies, avocado pudding, and a lot more. Your whole family will surely reap the health benefits of this miracle fruit while also enjoying its delicious and rich taste!