If you’re over your due date but don’t give birth yet, maybe you have of several natural methods to try labor induction. Indeed, there are many things you can perform to prepare your body for the important event ahead. Having primrose oil in the evening during pregnancy is one of the best ways and this is done by applying the oil in the vagina to induce labor.
Expectant mothers like evening primrose oil Walmart because they are easily accessible and cheaper.
However, you might be thinking if it’s for you. The following are everything you want to know about this herbal oil, applications, and precautions.
About evening primrose oil
The oil is derived from the evening primrose plant and it contains gamma-linolenic acid, linolenic acid and vitamin E. OTC Evening Primrose Oil tablets can be bought at many local drug stores or herbal medication shops. Occasionally, the oil is used in alternative treatments for many health conditions such as menopause, premenstrual syndrome, neuropathy, and rheumatoid arthritis. But even though it has been used for years, evening primrose plant real effect on labor remains unknown.
How to insert evening primrose oil?
Evening primrose oil is available in capsules, either EPO orally or internally. While there’s no regular evening primrose oil pregnancy dosage, the standard amount to use is 500-2000 milligrams each day after the 38th week of conceiving has started. If you consider using primrose oil in the evening during pregnancy, always start with a low dosage.
How effective is evening primrose oil to induce labor?
Based on American Family Physician, primrose oil in the evening during pregnancy can help the cervix relax and thin out. Other research advises that it can help reduce the labor period. This is because linolenic acid in the evening primrose oil can cause a prostaglandin reaction in the body. Doctors and healthcare providers may offer various recommendations depending on your specific medical record.
Benefits and disadvantages
While there is various scientific research that still needs to be performed to completely understand the safety and effectiveness of evening primrose oil, there are benefits and disadvantages we consider based on the information we have.
pros of primrose oil in the evening during pregnancy
- There are no recognized negative effects on breastfeeding.
- It’s often used by healthcare providers worldwide (except the United States) as a choice to stronger substances for readying the cervix for contractions.
- It may lessen the need to induce labor medically.
- While there may be benefits to using primrose oil in the evening during pregnancy, there are some disadvantages that must be contemplated.
Disadvantages of primrose oil in the evening during pregnancy
- It can be used as a blood thinner.
- There’s a possibility that primrose oil in the evening during pregnancy could start problems or trouble with childbirth.
- It includes bad effects such as gastrointestinal upset or headaches.
Other safe methods for labor induction
There are several other methods often used to help pregnant women induce labor naturally such as:
- exercising, including walking or climbing a set of stairs
- spicy foods
- sexual contact
- raspberry leaf tea and this recommended by healthcare providers and considered to turn abnormal uterine convulsions into normal and productive.
There’s not enough scientific study to prove that using primrose oil in the evening during pregnancy for labor induction is safe or not. Many women use oil with no incident, but an early study discovered that the oral consumption of primrose oil could start labor complications. Regardless, you must not use any supplement while pregnancy with talking to your doctor.
Discuss with your OB/GYN before taking any new supplements at any period of your gestation. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists describes 39 weeks or longer as the full-term pregnancy. Since research are insufficient in this section, it’s highly recommended to avoid anything that might stimulate labor before your unborn child is fully mature.