Are you one of those pregnant women who are asking if gel manicure is safe to apply while you are pregnant? Are you scared of the rumors that pedicure and manicures can trigger your labor? Can a pedicure induce labor? There are so many sayings and myths that you have heard, and some of them are hard to believe. To help you have a clearer understanding of the myth regarding gel manicure and pregnancy, here are some of the things that you should take note of.
The risk of gel manicure and pregnancy
Is it safe to get your nails done while you are pregnant? According to the experts, the risks associated with gel manicure and pregnancy are pretty low. You have to keep in mind that along with the shellac nails while pregnant and dip nails while pregnant, gel manicure while you are pregnant is okay to use, but you have to keep everything in moderation. Chemicals such as nail polish, acetone, and nail polish remover are not totally harmful to your little one. But what about the effect of UV light on pregnancy? Is UV light bad while pregnant? If your primary concern is the concentrated UV radiation, again, you don’t have to worry too much because the light that could reach your belly is not strong enough to penetrate the baby in your tummy.
If you want the safest way to get nails done, you can opt for an at-home gel manicure set. If you are still unsure of doing your nails in a professional salon, then this option is excellent for you since the risk is even lower than the beauty salon because the UV light lamps that you are going to use are less powerful. If you are still concerned about gel manicure and pregnancy, the best solution that you can do is to talk to your healthcare provider regarding this matter.
Safety tips regarding performing gel manicure in a salon
Even though you are pregnant, you can still pamper yourself and do the usual beauty regimen that you do, which includes manicure and pedicure. All you need to do is to ensure the safety and cleanliness of your chosen professional salon. Here are some of the things that you should pay attention to when deciding to go for a gel manicure in a salon.
- You have to visit your chosen salon before your session to ensure that they are following the cleanliness and safety standards. You need to pay attention to the tools and instruments they use. This is essential to lessen the risks of transmitting bacterial infection from other clients to your body.
- If you are skeptical, be it. You don’t need to be shy to ask some questions to the staff regarding the cleaning procedures and sterilization method they use.
- You also need to ask about their ventilation. Choose a spot where there are fewer fumes. As a pregnant woman, you need to sit near the window of the fan to ensure that you will not smell all the chemicals inside the salon.
- Always remember that if you have any wounds or cuts near your toes or fingernails, it is best to skip pampering yourself in the salon, especially if you are unsure of their cleanliness. Bacteria and harmful microorganisms can be transmitted to your body through this cut, so it is best to avoid your session in the first place.
- Make sure that the bowls or tubs where you soak your hands and feet are thoroughly sanitized. I bet you don’t want to end up treating yourself in the hospital due to bacterial infection, right?
- Is it safe to be a nail tech while pregnant? For those soon to be mothers who are working as a nail technician, you have to keep in mind that frequent exposure to the different chemicals can harm your baby. In this case, your employer needs to make sure that you and your baby are both safe.
When you are pregnant, there are lots of things that you need to consider before deciding because one wrong move can harm you and the baby inside you. That’s why if you are in the mood to pamper yourself through manicure and pedicure, it is best to be knowledgeable about this matter. We hope that this article about gel manicure and pregnancy can help on your pregnancy pampering journey.
- Is Nail Polish Safe For Toddlers
- Top Picks of Non-toxic Nail Polish for Kids
- Protecting Your Sensitive Skin During Pregnancy