Store-bought, flavored yogurt can be appealing to kids and adults alike. It fact, it can be eaten as is in the morning. But admit it, unflavored yogurt, with its sour taste, is not appetizing to kids. But yogurt is very versatile and it can go with other ingredients to create tasty desserts, dips, and shakes. Kids love desserts and one way to incorporate yogurt to a kids’ diet is through American yogurt dessert recipes.
The benefits of yogurt
High calcium content. Calcium is essential for kids’ bone development and yogurt is one of the best sources of calcium. It can also help to protect kids against tooth erosion that is often caused by sugary, carbonated drinks.
Source of good probiotics. Since bacterial activity converts milk to yogurt, it is loaded with probiotic bacteria. These good bacteria maintain a healthy gut by keeping it strong. It also aids in proper digestive function.
Protein source. A scoop of yogurt contains protein equal to that we can get from an egg. This can give an energy boost to your kids during the day.
Prevents obesity. Eating yogurt can make one feel full easily, thus decreasing food intake. It can also help to prevent the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
American yogurt dessert recipe
When unflavored yogurt cannot suit your children’s preferences, here are some American yogurt dessert recipes for kids not to say no.
Yogurt dessert bowls
Banana split yogurt bowl. Put vanilla yogurt in a bowl and topped with sliced banana, chopped salted peanuts, and strawberries. Drizzle with hot fudge.
Yogurt banana sundae. Put vanilla yogurt in a bowl and topped with sliced banana, coarsely chopped almonds, and chocolate chips.
Pumpkin Pie Yogurt Bowl. Swirl pumpkin butter with vanilla yogurt. Sprinkle with crushed gingersnaps.
Tiramisu yogurt bowl. Put coffee yogurt in a bowl and layer it with ladyfingers. Drizzle with amaretto and coffee syrup. Chill overnight. Topped with ladyfingers and additional coffee syrup.
Yogurt protein bowl. Whip yogurt and peanut butter in a bowl until smooth. Top with your favorite protein bar pieces and strawberries.
Light Panna Cotta
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin.
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup of sugar
- 3 strips of orange peel (½” wide and 2” long)
- 1 ⅔ cups plain yogurt
- ½ teaspoon saad oil
- In a bowl, sprinkle gelatin over ¼ cup of cream. Let it stand for 10 minutes until gelatin is soft.
- In a saucepan, pour the remaining cream, sugar and orange peel. Stir over low heat until it simmers and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and add the gelatin mixture and stir until it dissolves.
- Pour the mixture in a large bowl. Remove the orange peel. Add yogurt and vanilla extract and stir until well combined.
- Brush eight ½-cup molds with oil. Pour the cream mixture in the mold. Cover and chill for at least 8 hours.
- Unmold by gently running a knife between the panna cotta and the sides of the mold. Invert a plate over the mold and turn over. Lift the mold.
- Serve and enjoy.
Cornmeal yogurt lemon cake
A yogurt cake recipe for an appetizing baked dessert using plain yogurt.
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar (see Tip)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- ¼ cup lemon juice
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened plain almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×1- ½-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Line with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray again. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one by one, beating well after each addition. Add the almond milk, yogurt, lemon peel, and lemon juice. Beat on medium speed until combined.
- Add flour. Beat on low speed until combined.
- Spoon the batter in the pan. Bake about 40 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean from the cake. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. And cool completely.
- In a small bowl, all ingredients for the glaze and stir until smooth. Drizzle over the cake until it runs over the edges. If desired, top with berries and garnish with additional lemon peel.
*This dessert recipe can also use fat-free yogurt.
Quick yogurt pudding
A healthier version of pudding recipe using yogurt.
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package (4-serving) vanilla instant pudding mix
- ½ cup mashed strawberries
- In a bowl, Whisk yogurt while slowly adding milk. Add dry pudding mix and beat for two minutes or until well blended. Stir in the strawberries.
- Spoon in 5 dessert bowls and cover. Chill for an hour and serve.
Creamy frozen fruit pops
This is a frozen yogurt recipe that features fruits and can be served as a dessert or snacks during hot days.
- 1 ¼ cups frozen raspberries
- 1 ¼ cups sliced fresh strawberries
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 7 ounces plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- Process raspberries, strawberries, honey, lemon juice and salt in a food processor until smooth.
- Stir in yogurt and buttermilk in a separate bowl.
- Fold yogurt mixture into the berry mixture.
- Pour into 2-ounce pop molds. Top with lids and insert craft sticks. Leave the tip big enough to serve as the ice pop handle. Freeze for at least 4 hours.
Fruit and jelly cups
- 3 ounces vanilla yogurt
- 1 pack (0.3 ounce) gelatin
- ½ cup chopped fruits of your choice
- 12 tablespoons light whipped topping
- In a microwave-safe bowl, stir yogurt and gelatin mix. Heat in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, removing after every minute to stir until gelatin is dissolved.
- Stir in the chopped fruits.
- Prepare a 6 cups muffin tin. Line with paper liners. Place the mixture into the paper liners and place the muffin tin in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Remove paper liners before serving and topped with whipped topping.
These American yogurt dessert recipes are just so easy and quick to prepare. These can help you in giving treats to your kids that are not only delicious but is also healthy.