Encourage us by following our pinterest
Is your name Vivian? You love it for a very long time now as it is just a six-letter name which is perfect for a nametag during your days in grade school. It’s a bit unusual but easy to pronounce and boot right? Baristas at Starbucks won’t have a hard time spelling your name out and pronouncing it won’t lead to any quick apology. Now, are you wondering why your parents named you with this short and sweet name? Find out this Vivian name meaning and everything you need to know about it with this Kingdom of Baby post. We even listed some interesting facts about it. Read further to know!
Let’s check out the meaning of the name Vivian
Vivian is a girl’s name that is of Latin origin. The name means alive. It has been commonly used since the 19th century as parents often consider this to name their baby girl. It reached its peak in popularity in 1920 making it to the top 100 of the chart and even stayed on that particular rank for a long time.
People having this name is said to have a deep inner desire to use their abilities in leadership, and the need for personal independence. They opt to concentrate on a larger scale of important concerns and delegate the information.
They also have the drive for excitement, change, and adventure. They are versatile, dynamic, and visionary, making use of freedom constructively. They surely fight when they are being restricted by conventions and rules. They may be restless, rebellious, untidy, and changeable but they tend to be energetic, optimistic, intelligent, and make friends easily as well.
The name Vivian has a lot of variations and the most common spellings are Vivianne, Vivien, and Vivienne. It also has adorable nicknames namely: Vi, Viv, Vivi, and Yen.
Popularity of the name Vivian in the stardom
- Strongly favored as a very fashionable name because of Vivian Blaine, an actress famous for her role in the 1950 musical theater production ‘Guys and Dolls’. She played the role of “Adelaide”, a ditzy well-known fiancee.
- Vivian Vance, an Emmy award-winning singer, and actress famous for the 1950’s classic sitcom “I Love Lucy” playing the role of “Ethel”.
- English actress Vivien Leigh, who has a two-time Academy Award for her well-known roles in the movies – “Gone with the Wind” (1939) portraying the iconic Scarlett O’Hara and “A Streetcar Named Desire” (1951).
- American singer, actress and dancer Vivian Dandridge who is best known as the older sister of singer-actress Dorothy Dandridge.
- Celebrated and iconic fashion designers Vivienne Tam and Vivienne Westwood.
- Princess Vivian, a fictional character from the famous Disney production television show “Sofia The First”.
- One of the characters from the novel turned movie “Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood” – Vivian Joan Abbot Walker.
- Aunt Vivian from the television series “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air”.
- A-list celebrities Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt named one of their daughters as Vivienne Marcheline Jolie-Pitt.
Interesting facts about the name Vivian
- Talking about English meaning, the name Vivian means – The Lady of the Lake in Malory’s Mort d’Arthur, Merlin’s enchantress.
- “Any girl having this name is very likely to be pretty with an amazing personality”, that is according to the Urban dictionary.
- There’s a piece of land in South Dakota that is named Vivian.
- There’s also a town in Louisiana that is named Vivian.
- There is an island in Canada that is said to be Vivian as well.
- There is a railway system that is traversing right through Vivian, West Virginia.
- The name Vivian ranked number 538 in the US Census list of famous names in 1981. That’s probably a not-so-good year for Vivians.
- Since that popularity, Vivian is becoming more popular from time to time and ranked 119th in 2013.
- Gisele Bundchen and Tom Brady may have started the upswing by naming their daughter Vivian Lake Brady who was born in 2012.
- At one time, Julia Roberts portrayed a Vivian in “Pretty Woman”.
- Vivians also share the name of the famous photographer Vivian Maier.
- Who would not forget the Vivian from Paper Mario?